2020 Vision

Looking Back, Moving Forward

As 2019 draws to a close, I’m filled with pride for what Opogo has achieved and excitement for what’s next.

This past year has seen Opogo transition into a social enterprise, following it’s North Star towards a vision of grounded, long-term retention in the education sector. 

We have defined our social mission; to push our EdTech expertise towards innovative and meaningful tools like Opogo Social and Opogo Talent. We are breaking new ground for socially conscious recruitment by building a free, safe, inclusive social-networking space for educators and equipping schools with the technology to solve their recruitment problems.

I was especially proud when Opogo won a place on the UCL EDUCATE programme. To be recognised as an innovator in the educational technology space was a huge honour. Being part of this programme and working alongside inspirational research mentors Dr. Kim Issroff and Dr Alison Clark-Wilson has been a privilege, and their support will undoubtedly see our EdTech development accelerate in 2020.

New Year’s Commitments

I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions, but this year I’m committing to getting out there and giving back.

Senior leadership teams in schools are performing a complex juggling act, keeping several balls in the air at once. I already help support and drive better outcomes for schools by sharing the corporate skills I’ve accumulated over my twenty plus years of commercial business. But in 2020 I’ll commit 20% of my time to sit down with school leadership teams to tackle any business-related obstacles, from budgeting to PR and everything in between.

Last year I stepped outside my comfort zone to take on public speaking. 2020 will see more of this (hopefully it will become easier over time!) as I embark on a series of speaker sessions and workshops for schools, students, teacher groups and conferences.

Excitingly, these speaker sessions tie into my collaboration with Diana Osagie on an Educational Leadership M.Ed Masters course. I’ll be writing more about this exciting project with Diana in the new year.

I’ll also keep you updated on a forward-thinking collaboration with long-time Opogo partner, Pete Atherton of Liverpool John Moores University. I’m working with Pete to spearhead workshops around educator wellbeing for 500 LJMU students, as well as a cohort of Masters and alumni. I’m delighted to see important research and solutions for educator wellbeing find an audience of teachers-to-be and NQTs. 

Collaborations & Partnerships

My vision for 2020 is ambitious, and I’m all too aware that the issues around education are complex and manifold. But it’s impossible not to be optimistic when you come across inspirational people working together to make a real impact in the education sector.

I believe collaboration is key. In 2019 we worked with many talented experts including Raymond Douglas, Kirsty Raynor and Ross McGill, to name but a few and I would like to extend my thanks to all our experts for your hard work and support. In 2020 we will continue to reach to form partnerships wherever we find talent and drive.

The Opogo Social network has the reach and capacity to amplify messages like Joe Wicks’ inclusive, upbeat and body-positive School Fitness Week. Earlier this year BBC Children in Need appointed Joe Wicks as the charity’s first ever Schools Ambassador and we look forward to Joe’s exciting 2020 projects.

Always on the front line, Education Support is the only charity supporting the mental health and wellbeing of education staff in the UK. At Opogo, our ambition Is to amplify their vital research and make sure their message reaches as many educators as possible.

I know 2020 will bring opportunities to strengthen our existing collaborations and build new partnerships with like-minded individuals and organisations. And I, for one, can’t wait. 

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and New Year from myself and the Opogo team.

Image result for happy new year"

2020 Vision See you in 2020.

Related Articles

Responses